Frequently asked questions

Ordinary Shareholders

Share dealing

How can I buy or sell shares?

As an ordinary shareholder, you can use any bank, building society or stockbroker offering a share dealing facility for UK listed shares in order to buy or sell Aviva shares. The commission charged by different organisations will vary.

For further information on the share dealing facility provided by our Registrar, Computershare , please visit the share dealing page .

If you hold your shares in the Aviva Share Account, you are required to use the Aviva Share Account Share Dealing Facility in accordance with the Aviva Share Account  terms and conditions  (PDF 275.8 KB) .

What is Capital Gains Tax?

Capital Gains Tax is the tax paid on any profit or gain made by selling a chargeable asset (e.g. shares) for more than it was bought.

Aviva plc is unable to advise individuals on matters of Capital Gains Tax. Please consult an independent financial adviser.


What is a registrar?

A Registrar is a person or organisation that keeps a record of a company’s shareholders and other related information such as dividend payment dates. Registrars are increasingly offering online services to meet the demands of companies and shareholders for efficient communication. Aviva's Registrar is Computershare .

Updating personal details

How do I change my personal details on my shareholding?

Change of address

You can change your address online by visiting the Computershare Investor Centre and registering for online services.

Alternatively, contact Aviva’s Registrar, Computershare .

Change of name

For your name to be changed on the share register please send Computershare an original of your marriage certificate or your change of name deed (these documents will be returned to you once processed).

If you hold an insurance policy with Aviva, please contact us separately to change your policy name/address.

For all written communications with Computershare , quoting your Computershare Shareholder Reference Number.

How can I confirm the number of shares that I hold?

You can view your Aviva shareholdings online by visiting the Computershare Investor Centre and registering for online shareholder services.

Alternatively, please contact our Registrar, Computershare , to request confirmation of your holdings in Aviva.

How can I transfer ownership of my shares to someone else?

For certificated holdings please contact our Registrar, Computershare to obtain a personalised stock transfer form, which you will need to complete and return with your share certificate.

How do I register the death of a shareholder?

If the shareholding was held jointly, on receipt of a copy of the death certificate, Computershare will remove the name of the deceased from the shareholding. The shares will then be registered in the name(s) of the surviving holder(s) and the relevant share certificates will be amended to reflect this.

If the shares were held solely in the name of the deceased, Computershare will require a copy of the death certificate and either probate or letters of administration. The name of the legal personal representative will then be added to the register. The shares can be sold by the personal representative, or a stock transfer form can be submitted so that the shares are registered in the name of the deceased’s beneficiary.

If the value of the estate in the deceased’s sole name is below certain limits the death can be registered using the Registrar’s small estates procedure. Details of the current limits and the procedure involved can be obtained from our Registrar, Computershare .

For further information or advice please contact our Registrar, Computershare .

Change of ownership/ replacing lost records

What do I do if I lose my share certificate or dividend cheque?

You may obtain a replacement share certificate or dividend cheque by calling our Registrar, Computershare .

A fee to cover administration costs and, for a share certificate, an indemnity charge will be made for this service. Please visit  for up to date details of the fees charged by Computershare . After receiving a replacement share certificate, you may wish to transfer your shares into the Aviva Share Account .

If your shares are held on your behalf in the Aviva Share Account and you have lost your Statement of Shareholding, a new statement will be issued automatically in March/April each year.

If you need a statement more quickly, you can obtain a replacement by calling our Registrar, Computershare . There will be a fee for this service. 

You can also view your current shareholding by visiting the Computershare Investor Centre and registering for online shareholder services.

Friends Life Group Limited, Resolution or Friends Provident

If you had a Friends Provident share certificate, please note that on 2 November 2009 Friends Provident was acquired by Resolution for 79.4 pence per share. On this date, all Friends Provident shares were either cashed out (i.e. shareholders received a cash sum paid by cheque in respect of their holdings) or converted into Resolution shares. If you opted to have your shares cashed out, you no longer hold any shares and there is no need for you to inform Computershare about your lost certificate.

If you had a Resolution Limited share certificate, please note that on 8 May 2014, Resolution Limited changed its name to Friends Life Group Limited.  Resolution share certificates were valid as Friends Life Group Limited share certificates following this change in the Company’s name. 

If you had a Friends Life Group Limited (or a Resolution Limited) share certificate, please note that on 10 April 2015, Friends Life Group Limited was acquired by Aviva plc.  This acquisition was effected by a scheme of arrangement in accordance with Guernsey company law and was approved by both the Guernsey court and by Friends Life and Aviva shareholders. Under the terms of the scheme, Friends Life shareholders were issued with 0.74 Aviva shares in replacement for each Friends Life share owned.  In April 2015, welcome packs were sent to all former Friends Life shareholders eligible to receive Aviva shares as part of the acquisition and new Aviva share certificates were included in the pack for those shareholders who hold their shares in certificated form. All Resolution Limited and Friends Life Group Limited share certificates are therefore no longer valid and if you have lost them, there is no need to inform Computershare. If you have any queries relating to this, please contact Computershare .

Commercial Union, CGU, CGNU, General Accident and Norwich Union Share certificates

As a result of various mergers, you may have in your possession various share certificates for our legacy companies.  The position with these is as follows:

Commercial Union – still valid

CGU – still valid

CGNU – still valid

General Accident – General Accident shares were replaced by CGU shares on acceptance of the merger offer. 

Norwich Union –share certificates were automatically replaced with CGNU share certificates at the time of the merger with CGU.  Norwich Union share certificates can be destroyed.

What happened to my F&C Asset Management Plc shares?

In July 2009, Friends Provident demerged the majority stake it had owned in F&C Asset Management plc since 2004 by distributing the F&C shares to its own shareholders. All shareholders were written to on 26 May 2009 about the demerger of F&C. Shareholders subsequently approved the demerger on 12 June 2009 and, having then also been approved by the High Court, the demerger took effect on 3 July 2009. Following the demerger, F&C Asset Management plc shareholders were entitled to receive 1 share in F&C for every 10 shares they held in Friends Provident on 2 July 2009. The F&C shares were an addition to the Friends Provident shares already held, they did not replace them. To find out more about F&C visit

I’m a former Friends Provident shareholder, which share registrar should I contact?

All unclaimed Friends Provident shareholder funds are held directly by Computershare or Equiniti (the former registrar of Friends Provident). Please contact Computershare to request confirmation of your holding. Computershare will either assist you or direct you to Equiniti depending on where your funds are held. Either Computershare or Equiniti will be able to arrange the re-issue of any outstanding funds which may be due to you although there may be a charge for replacement cheques.

American depositary receipt holders

How can I find out the value of my ADSs?

You can find an up-to-date quote of an Aviva ADS in the share price section.

Alternatively, you can find this on the New York Stock Exchange.

How do I buy and sell Aviva ADRs?

Holders can buy and sell Aviva plc ADRs by maintaining either an International Direct Investment (IDI) plan or via the Direct Registration System (DRS) programme. For an IDI plan brochure and enrollment kit, please refer to, under the “Investors” section and select “Investment Plans/Services”. You will find a pdf of Aviva’s IDI plan brochure. The IDI plan is a dividend reinvestment and direct purchase plan sponsored and administered by Citibank, NA. The plan enables first-time purchasers and existing holders to make purchases, reinvest dividends, deposit certificates for safekeeping and sell ADRs.

How do I convert my ordinary shares into ADRs?

Aviva plc ordinary shareholders should contact their local broker to deposit their ordinary shares at Citibank London for ADR issuance.

How can I find out how many ADSs I hold?

Registered ADR holders can access their account online.

Alternatively Aviva plc registered ADR holders can contact Citibank Shareholder Services . Aviva plc ADR holders holding shares via a bank, a broker or nominee account (in book-entry format) should contact their brokers for information on their holding.

How can I change my details on my ADR account?

If you are a registered holder, please contact Citibank Shareholder Services .

You can also inform Citibank of your change of address by e-mailing them at Alternatively, you can complete the form found on your latest account statement and return it to the address on the statement.

How can I replace a lost ADR certificate?

If your certificate is lost, stolen or destroyed please notify Citibank immediately so that a stop transfer can be placed on the certificate. Citibank will send you the necessary forms for a replacement certificate to be issued to you. There is a charge of approximately 3% of the market value of the shares (minimum fee of $20) for a replacement certificate. This is necessary in order to purchase the replacement indemnity bond.

How can I obtain information about my ADR account?

You can obtain information on your account such as your balance or the status of a dividend cheque by calling Citibank Shareholder Services .

How do I gift or transfer my ADRs?

Computershare are Citibank’s transfer agent. Information on how to gift or transfer your ADSs can be found under the “Frequently Asked Questions” section of the Computershare website. The “Frequently Asked Questions” section is located under the “Transferring Stock” menu, where you will find the requirements to transfer your shares. You can also contact Citibank Shareholder Services .