Aviva launches scholarship programme
- World leading British sectors come together to provide further access to British education for outstanding Asian students
11 Jul 2017
Aviva today announces the creation of the Aviva Scholarship programme which aims to promote British education in Asia, and assist outstanding students in China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Singapore, Taiwan and Vietnam to further their studies at leading UK universities. This scheme is made possible through the partnership with eleven leading universities in the UK*.
Applications open in September 2017 alongside the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) process, and the first group of scholars is expected to matriculate in autumn 2018. The programme is open for Aviva customers in Asia and their children for the duration of all applicable undergraduate and graduate courses.
This is an exciting and innovative programme which will attract qualified Asian students to the UK whilst promoting British education, culture and trade in Asia.
Chris Wei, Executive Chairman of Aviva Asia and Global Chairman of Aviva Digital commented: “As the UK’s leading insurer, Aviva is proud to have this exclusive opportunity to work with leading UK universities and strengthen ties between the UK and South East Asia.”
He added: "As someone who came to the UK to study and now works for Aviva, I’m really pleased that we’re able to offer students from Asia the opportunity to pursue new knowledge, skills and life experiences."
Jo Johnson, Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation commented: “It is fantastic to see two world leading UK sectors – higher education and insurance – come together to create a dynamic partnership that will offer scholarships to the brightest and best students in Asia to enable them to study in the UK. This innovative, collaborative approach is another great example of my desire to continue to build bridges between the UK and the rest of the world.”
Further details on the scholarship programme, as well as the online application form, can be found on the dedicated website www.AvivaScholarships.com from 18th July onwards.
the University of Birmingham
the University of Bristol
City, University of London
the University of Dundee
the University of Kent
the University of Leicester
the University of Liverpool
the University of Stirling
York St John University
+44 (0) 207 662 0405
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers, across 16 markets worldwide
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £340 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £450 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.4 billion in benefits and claims in 2016.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
About Aviva Asia
- Aviva operates in seven markets in Asia (Singapore, China, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Taiwan and India).
- Aviva is a top tier insurer in Singapore and one of the biggest providers of employee benefits and healthcare insurance.
- As at 30 September 2016, Aviva-COFCO ranked number 9 among 27 foreign life insurers in China in terms of APE, operating in thirteen provinces with over 80 branches.
- In Indonesia, Astra Aviva Life is an equal joint venture between Aviva and Astra International, one of Indonesia’s largest diversified conglomerates, to sell and distribute insurance products.
- Aviva has had a presence in Hong Kong for more than 150 years.
- In Vietnam, Aviva acquired the 50% shareholding of VietinAviva from VietinBank to make it a wholly own subsidiary of Aviva in 2017
- Aviva operates First-Aviva in partnership with First Financial Holdings in Taiwan, with a wide distribution network of 188 branches across the country.
- Aviva partners in India with the Dabur Group, one of India’s oldest and most respected business houses and one of the largest producers of traditional healthcare products, and has a distribution network of over 100 branches and 12,000+ financial planning advisors.
- Following Aviva’s acquisition of Friends Life Group in April 2015, Friends Provident International is now part of the Aviva Group. Friends Provident International provides life assurance and investment products in Singapore, Hong Kong and the United Arab Emirates.