Appointment of Amanda Blanc and retirement of Glyn Barker and Claudia Arney as Non-Executive Directors of Aviva plc.
Aviva plc (“Aviva” or the “Company”) announces the appointment of Amanda Blanc as an Independent Non-Executive Director of the Company with effect from 2 January 2020.
Amanda brings extensive knowledge and experience of the insurance industry to her role at Aviva. Amanda was previously CEO at AXA UK & Ireland, and CEO, EMEA & Global Banking Partnerships at Zurich Insurance Group. Amanda has also held senior management positions at Towergate Insurance Brokers, Groupama Insurance Company and Commercial Union. In 2018, Amanda was the first woman to be appointed as Chair of the Association of British Insurers and was also Chair of the Insurance Fraud Bureau and President of the Chartered Insurance Institute.
Glyn Barker has served as an Independent Non-Executive Director for almost eight years and, during that time, has been both Chair of the Audit Committee and the Senior Independent Director in addition to serving on the Audit, Governance, Nomination, Remuneration and Risk Committees.
Claudia Arney has been an Independent Non-Executive Director for almost four years and is Chair of the Governance Committee as well as a member of the Nomination, Remuneration and Risk Committees. Glyn and Claudia will retire with effect from 31 December 2019.
Amanda Blanc will succeed Claudia as Chair of the Governance Committee* and will become a member of the Nomination and Risk Committees upon appointment to the Board.
The appointment of a Senior Independent Director to succeed Glyn Barker will be announced in due course.
Sir Adrian Montague, Chairman, said:
“We are delighted to welcome Amanda Blanc as an Independent Non-Executive Director and as the new Chair of the Governance Committee. Amanda’s breadth and depth of experience of the UK and European insurance industry, and her detailed understanding of business and customers, make her an excellent addition to our Board.”
“Our thanks go to Glyn and Claudia for their very significant contribution to the Company during their time as directors. We wish Claudia every success in her other business commitments, and my special thanks go to Glyn who has helped me to refresh the Board but now feels that, with Amanda’s appointment, it is now right to retire after almost eight years' service.”
*Subject to regulatory approval.
+44 (0)20 7662 0215
+44 (0)20 7662 3131
+44 (0)20 7662 6019
Investors and analysts:
+44 (0)20 7662 8115
Notes to editors:
- In accordance with paragraph LR 9.6.13R of the listing rules, Aviva confirms there is no information to be disclosed in terms of LR 9.6.13R (1) to LR 9.6.13R (6) inclusive in respect of Amanda Blanc.
- At the date of this announcement, Amanda Blanc has a beneficial interest in 27,339 ordinary shares of Aviva via a connected person.
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business.
- Our aim is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. Last year, we paid c.£33 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £501 billion (as at 30 June 2019) and our Solvency ratio is 195% (3Q19). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.