Aviva plc (“Aviva”) has appointed George Culmer as Senior Independent Non-Executive Director with effect from 1 January 2020. George will succeed Glyn Barker, who retires from the Board and as Senior Independent Director on 31 December 2019, as previously disclosed.
George was appointed as a Non-Executive Director of Aviva on 25 September 2019 and was most recently Chief Financial Officer of Lloyds Banking Group plc. George has extensive insurance experience and, as well as the role at Lloyds Bank, he was previously a director and Chief Financial Officer of RSA Insurance Group plc; Head of Capital Management of Zurich Financial Services and Chief Financial Officer of its UK operations. He is also a Non-Executive Director of Rolls Royce Holdings plc.
Sir Adrian Montague, Chairman, said:
"George brings significant board level experience, having spent 15 years as a FTSE 100 Chief Financial Officer, and has a deep understanding of insurance and wider financial services. Since his appointment, George has made an invaluable contribution to the Board and has built excellent relationships with Board members. He has a good understanding of the issues that affect our industry and our business, and the implications for shareholders, which makes him the natural choice as Senior Independent Director.”
- ENDS -
+44 (0)20 7662 3131
+44 (0)20 7662 8115
+44 (0)20 7662 0911
Notes to editors:
- The announcement is made pursuant to Listing Rule 9.6.11.
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business.
- Our aim is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. Last year, we paid c.£33 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £501 billion (as at 30 June 2019) and our Solvency ratio is 195% (Q319). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.