Today Aviva launches the Foundry, a Norwich based initiative dedicated to building the region’s digital workforce. The Foundry will offer a range of opportunities for Aviva colleagues, local students and businesses to increase their digital literacy, funded and delivered by Aviva, working in partnership with Decoded, a tech education startup.
The Foundry has three aims:
- help Aviva colleagues in Norwich develop digital skills for the future to support moves into one of five key roles - Software Developer, Business Analyst, UX Designer, Digital Product Owner and Test Engineer. The Foundry will help Aviva to fill critical digital roles, with plans to roll out to other regions in the future;
- support Norfolk T Level students, partnering with Norwich City College, to acquire new skills and offer them work placements and a potential digital career in Aviva;
- support local businesses, along with Tech East and New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership, by gifting part of Aviva’s apprenticeship levy. Aviva has already made its first levy donation of over £300,000.
Danny Harmer, Aviva’s Chief People Officer, said:
“A trained, digital workforce is key to our future success and the launch of the Foundry is an important step forward for Aviva and for Norwich. We want to support local people to grow their careers with us and equip them with the skills they need for the future. Working together – Aviva, Norwich City College and Decoded, can make a lasting and positive difference. This investment in upskilling and reskilling is great for local people, local businesses and the regional economy.”
Richard Peters, Decoded Co-Founder & CEO, said:
"Decoded are proud to be the delivery partners to Aviva on The Foundry for such an ambitious project. Together we will be creating the jobs and skills of the future. Moreover, by extending those learning opportunities to the local community in Norwich and businesses across East Anglia, it is one of the most significant levelling up programmes we have ever seen. One which takes vision, courage and a belief that when people are given the right tools and learning opportunities, anything is possible."
If you’re a local business and think you’d benefit from the Foundry, you can get in touch at email@example.com.
Decoded is a world leader in technology education, delivering digital literacy and skills for clients that span the Global 2,000, policymakers and small businesses across every industry and geography.
Decoded's digital and data literacy workshops are sought by organisations seeking to rapidly rewire their digital literacy, culture and skills, in areas including data decision-making, artificial intelligence, data ethics, cyber security and beyond.
Decoded's digital and data academies and bootcamps upskill and re-skill workforces in data analytics, software development, data engineering and product management.
Notes to editors:
- We are one of the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement businesses and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in India and China.
- We help our 18.7 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for more than 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2022, we paid £23.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is a market leader in sustainability. In 2021, we announced our ambition to become Net Zero by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- While we are working towards our sustainability ambitions, we acknowledge that we have relationships with businesses and existing assets that may be associated with significant emissions. More information can be found at https://www.aviva.com/sustainability/climate/
- Aviva is a Living Wage, Living Pensions and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 30 June 2023, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £358 billion and our estimated Solvency II shareholder capital surplus was £7.8 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva