Young drivers can earn e-vouchers and discounts on their premiums with the launch of Quotemehappy Connect, a new app-based car insurance proposition which rewards safe driving.
Aimed at young drivers aged 17-29 years old, Quotemehappy Connect provides customers with a weekly driver rating – red, amber, green or gold - and a breakdown of their driving behaviours, with green and gold-rated drivers earning reward points which can be exchanged for e-vouchers. Drivers with an amber or red rating will be given personalised advice on how to improve their driving. Customers can also view journey ratings for each journey, allowing drivers to get real-time feedback on their driving for a particular trip.
Motorists using Quotemehappy Connect will also receive a personalised renewal price based on their driving behaviour, which could allow young drivers to save money and reduce the cost of their car insurance. The safest drivers, achieving a ‘Gold’ rating, could earn up to 30% off their renewal premium.
Unlike some traditional telematics policies which use black boxes, Quotemehappy Connect combines app-based technology with a small windscreen-mounted device to record driving behaviour. Customers pair their mobile phone with the device in their car and the app starts to monitor driving behaviour from the outset.
The app records speed, smoothness (including braking, cornering and accelerating), usage (time and frequency of journeys), and distraction (mobile phone use). Drivers are given regular advice on areas where they can improve their driving and move up the ratings to start earning reward points. The app also provides top tip videos on specific driving behaviours such as harsh braking or cornering.
Commenting on the launch of Quotemehappy Connect, Matthew Washer, Head of Connected Motor at Aviva, said: “Traditional black box telematics insurance policies have become an established way for young drivers to monitor their driving and reduce premiums. However, technology has moved on and the new app allows drivers to monitor their driving without the need for a black box to be professionally fitted to their car.
“Many young people want to demonstrate they are safe drivers, and the app allows them to do this in a simple and easy way by working in the background every time they drive.
“With the squeeze on household budgets set to rise further, motorists will be looking for ways to reduce the cost of their car insurance. Quotemehappy Connect allows young drivers to stay safe on the roads whilst helping to keep their insurance costs low with a price that is individual to them, rather than ‘people like them’.
“By providing weekly ratings and regular personalised advice on their driving, young drivers can understand which areas of their driving they can improve. Importantly, if a driver falls into the amber or red zone, the app will provide advice on specific driving behaviour, such as sudden acceleration, which allows them to improve their driving.”
Quotemehappy Connect provides young drivers with comprehensive car insurance for vehicles that are 20 years or younger and worth £70k or less. Motorists can earn reward points for safer driving which can be exchanged for e-vouchers from many leading brands.
Quotemehappy Connect has been developed by Aviva in partnership with telematics specialists, IMS. Speaking about the partnership, IMS Chief Executive Paul Stacy said: “For this new partnership, we are making a decisive break from ‘black boxes’ - generally used by young drivers - to a smartphone app connected to the IMS Wedge Bluetooth device. We’re excited to be working with Aviva at a time when the advantages of connected insurance for all drivers are becoming ever more apparent, and look forward to working with Aviva in the coming months.”
Quotemehappy Connect is available to buy direct or via price comparison websites. Quotemehappy Connect complements other Quotemehappy motor insurance products including Quotemehappy Essentials and Plus.
Notes to editors:
- We are the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement business and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in Singapore, China and India.
- We help our 18.5 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2021, we paid £30.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is a market leader in sustainability. In 2021, we announced our plan to become a Net Zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 30 June 2022, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £353 billion and our Solvency II shareholder capital surplus at 30 September 2022 was £8.8 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva