Aviva, the UK’s leading insurer, today announces an investment of $10 million into the Anthemis Female Innovators Lab Fund. The fund was founded in September 2019 and backs female entrepreneurs in the fintech industry across the UK, Europe, Canada and the US. Aviva’s investment will specifically support UK based fintech firms which are founded by women. Currently only 4% of UK fintechs are led by women.
Female entrepeneurs currently lead just 4% of UK tech startups and this needs to change. The Female Innovators Fund is one way we can support this untapped talent.
Aviva will be a strategic partner to the Fund, which is the largest female focused fintech fund and is anchored and co-founded by Barclays. The Fund deploys capital directly into innovative female led companies within the finance industry and provides female entrepeneurs with access to financial and intellectual resources through the Fund’s extensive network of advisors and experts.
Ben Luckett, Chief Innovation Officer at Aviva, said: “Female entrepreneurs currently lead just 4% of UK tech startups and this needs to change. The Female Innovators Fund is one way we can support this untapped talent. Working with the Fund means more than just a financial contribution, we will have opportunities to partner with, learn from and invest directly in start-ups where they may benefit Aviva and our customers. We are very excited to work alongside Anthemis and Barclays to help reduce gender inequality in financial services.”
Aviva plays a leading role supporting female leadership and gender equality within the financial services sector. Amanda Blanc, Aviva’s Group CEO, is the Treasury’s Women in Finance Charter Champion - spearheading efforts to boost gender diversity across UK Financial Services. Aviva also supports the UK Government’s Investing in Women Code which advances female entrepreneurs in the United Kingdom by improving access to tools, resources and finance from the financial services sector.
Head of Financial Communications
Notes to editors:
- We are one of the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement businesses and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in India, China and Singapore.
- We help our 18.7 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for more than 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2022, we paid £23.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is a market leader in sustainability. In 2021, we announced our plan to become Net Zero by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- While we are working towards our sustainability ambitions, we acknowledge that we have relationships with businesses and existing assets that may be associated with significant emissions. More information can be found at www.aviva.com/sustainability/climate/
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 31 December 2022, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £352 billion and our estimated Solvency II shareholder surplus is £8.7 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/avivaplc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva