Speedy resolution and peace of mind for motor insurance customer.
An Aviva motor insurance customer experienced a quick U-turn in their fortunes, when their 4x4 vehicle was discovered by the police just 36 minutes after being reported stolen.
Tracker was notified that an Aviva-insured car had been stolen at 9.36 am and started working with the police to recover it immediately. As a result, the police found the vehicle undamaged at 10.12 am.
The customer was overjoyed to have her 4x4 back so quickly. It was a particularly pleasing outcome as she had purchased the car as a used vehicle and wasn’t aware that a tracker had been installed by the previous owner. Tracker devices can be placed almost anywhere on a vehicle, making it difficult for thieves to know whether one is present.
Aviva has worked with Tracker for a number of years, locating hundreds of stolen customer vehicles through the relationship. The two organisations have recently reviewed their processes to make it possible to find vehicles even more quickly. This particular car was located just one day after the new procedures were introduced.
Waseem Malik, Chief Claims Officer, Aviva UK, says: “A stolen car can be extremely distressing for the owner, not to mention inconvenient, so this is a brilliant outcome for the customer. We were delighted with the way Tracker and the police acted so promptly to bring about this great result.
“Unfortunately, thieves are becoming increasingly sophisticated, so we’d urge drivers to remain vigilant and take steps to secure their vehicles. But where the worst happens, we are there to assist our customers. We’ve seen a number of claims where a stolen car has been found on the same day - but to find one in just 36 minutes is really something else!”
Motorists can find further advice about securing their vehicles here:
Mark Rose, Managing Director, Tracker Network (UK) Ltd, commented: “Prestige 4x4s have dominated our annual Top Ten Most Stolen and Recovered table every year for the past decade and have taken the top spot for the past five consecutive years. Unfortunately, premium models have always been the go-to for criminals who exploit the demand for these desirable cars overseas. We are continuously intercepting shipping containers packed with stolen vehicles at ports around the country.
“Despite ever-advancing anti-theft technologies, professional thieves continue to be quick to adapt, which is why we are working closely with Aviva to keep one step ahead and close the net on criminals. Whilst a stolen vehicle recovery solution won’t necessarily stop your vehicle being stolen, 95% fitted with a Tracker device are successfully recovered, thanks to our exclusive nationwide partnership with the UK’s police. What’s more, 80% of those stolen vehicles recovered by Tracker are done so within 24 hours, as Aviva’s customer experienced.”
UK External Communications
Notes to editors:
- We are one of the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement businesses and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in India, China and Singapore.
- We help our 18.7 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for more than 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2022, we paid £23.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is a market leader in sustainability. In 2021, we announced our plan to become Net Zero by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- While we are working towards our sustainability ambitions, we acknowledge that we have relationships with businesses and existing assets that may be associated with significant emissions. More information can be found at www.aviva.com/sustainability/climate/
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 31 December 2022, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £352 billion and our estimated Solvency II shareholder surplus is £8.7 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/avivaplc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva