- Solar carport will cover 250 car park spaces at a core Aviva site.
- It will generate 542,000 kWh - enough to power 138 homes - annually.
- Aviva will use 91% of the generated energy.
Based at Broadlands Business Park, the specially-constructed solar panels cover 250 car park spaces and will generate 542,000 kWh annually – enough to power 138 homes annually or an electric car for 1.5 million miles (60 times around the world)1. At peak generating capacity, Aviva will use 91% of the generated ‘green’ energy.
Aviva also made an active decision to use local suppliers for this this latest development, employing Norwich-based firm RenEnergy for the construction of the carport. The design has 1,872 solar panels (each 325-watt) and a 313-metre bespoke mounting frame, which was developed to minimise the amount of concrete required in the build. Created with the future of motoring in mind, each parking-space is electric vehicle ready, allowing chargers to be added to meet user demand.
In numbers: Broadlands Business Park solar carport
car park spaces
kWh generated annually - enough to power 138 homes
the percentage of generated energy Aviva wll use
The solar carport is the latest development in Aviva’s ambition to tackle climate change. It became the first carbon neutral international insurer in 2006 and it continues to offset any remaining operational carbon emissions today. To date, Aviva has achieved a 60% reduction in CO2e against the 2010 baseline and is working towards an ambitious target of a 70% reduction by 2030.
Damian Baker from RenEnergy said: “We were delighted to be provided with the opportunity to showcase our bespoke solar carport designs with the Norwich Aviva offices. Aviva has shown real foresight in utilising its car park to expand its generation capacity, whilst reducing its environmental impact and future-proofing the business for the electric car revolution. Furthermore, the system does not sacrifice any car parking spaces.
The solar carport is a really innovative way to generate green energy, tackle climate change and reduce our environmental impact. It’s a fantastic design that delivers on the environmental benefits without impacting on space. And it’s ready for the future with the electric vehicle revolution just around the corner.
We are thrilled with RenEnergy’s brilliant design and construction. It was great to be able to use a local company whose skill and expertise in this field has delivered this amazing result.
“We hope other companies will follow Aviva’s lead and the benefits offered by the innovative design.”
1Statistics sourced from RenEnergy.
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- Our vision is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £510 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £12.6 billion (FY19). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.