Aviva is the leading insurance and savings business in the UK and Ireland with 16 million customers in the UK.
We are the only UK insurer of scale to offer life, pensions, accident and health, general insurance and asset management solutions.
Customers access our products and services in the way they choose; whether that’s directly from us by telephone or online, or via a broker, intermediary or an Aviva strategic partner.
Our ‘digital first’ strategy is central to making life simpler for our customers and our ‘MyAviva’ app enables customers to view and manage all their savings and insurance policies in one place.
Life and Health
- Aviva is the largest insurer in the UK Life market, based on IFRS operating profit and value of new business[i], with a 14% share of UK Life new business and 12 million customers.
- We offer a comprehensive suite of products to individuals and groups, including pensions, retirement solutions, life insurance, savings and investment products.
- We are the UK’s largest provider of group personal pensions[i], a market which is expected to triple over the next 10 years[ii], as well as equity release[iii] and individual annuities[iv].
- Our pension new business is focused on providing defined contribution schemes to employers and employees in the UK, as well as a range of workplace benefit and automatic enrolment compliance tools.
- We are also a leading provider of protection products in the UK[iv] - more than £839 million was paid out to individual protection customers and their families in 2015 through claims on life insurance, critical illness and income protection policies.
- With health solutions for individuals and corporate clients, we are one of the largest health insurers in the UK. We are also one of the UK’s leading providers of group life insurance, giving peace of mind to employers and their employees alike.
- We protect more than eight million lives through our combined portfolio of individual and corporate health and protection solutions.
- Aviva’s UK Life business has around £214 billion of assets under management – the largest in the UK.
- We have a multi-distribution strategy, selling our products direct to customers (including via our consumer platform) and through intermediaries (insurance brokers and financial advisers) and strategic partnerships (such as banks and high street retailers).
- Aviva UK Life is a significant contributor to the Group's investment thesis of 'cash flow plus growth'. It has a large established book of business with the potential to deliver stable cash remittances to the Group.
- In 2015 we won the Gold Standard for Group Pensions, Pension Provider of the Year at the European Pension Awards, Best Equity Release Lender and Best Lifetime Mortgage Provider at the What Mortgage Awards, and Best Protection Provider Service.
- In April 2015 we acquired Friends Life Group Limited, creating a stronger, more diversified and resilient business through our complementary strengths.
You can read more about the progress of Aviva’s UK life insurance business in our annual report and accounts here: http://www.aviva.com/reports/2015ar/more-on-life-insurance.html/
You can read more about health insurance business on page 23 of our annual report and accounts here: http://www.aviva.com/reports/2015ar/
- Aviva’s UK general insurance business (Aviva UK GI) is the leading general insurer in the UK with a market share of 12%[v]
- We provide a wide range of products to personal and business customers, including motor, home, travel and pet insurance, commercial property, liability and specialty covers (such as boiler breakdown).
- Our strategy positions Aviva for future profitable growth by meeting our customers’ changing needs. To achieve this we use market leading capabilities in the insurance fundamentals: underwriting, pricing, claims management and predictive analytics.
- Our aim is to build long-term relationships with customers with products and services which go beyond insurance to mitigate and prevent – such as delivering risk management advice to a large corporate customer or using leak-prevention technology in customers’ homes.
- The quality of the service we provide to our customers is reflected in the number of awards we have received and feedback from our customers. Most notably, we were the Insurance Times Insurer of the Year in 2014 and 2015, and voted number one for underwriting and claims in both personal and commercial lines in the 2015 Insurance Age Sentiment Survey.
- In 2015 our UK general insurance business achieved its best ever customer satisfaction scores for household claims (Transaction Net Promoter Score® +57).
- Highly competitive market conditions for personal motor and home insurance are expected to continue. We have responded by developing increasingly sophisticated pricing, market-leading products and services, and investing in digital to sharpen our competitive edge.
- The small medium-sized enterprise sector has remained challenging as increased insurance capacity has heightened competition. Aviva is well-placed to be a trusted advisor and offer a complete one-stop-shop for SMEs, and we have continued to succeed in this market because of the quality of our service.
- We will continue to be a customer champion by taking a lead on issues that increase costs for our customers, such as our “Road to Reform” campaign which highlights the issues of fraudulent claims.
You can read more about the progress of Aviva’s UK general insurance business in our annual report and accounts here: http://www.aviva.com/reports/2015ar/more-on-general-insurance.html
Read more about the history of our UK business here: http://heritage.aviva.com/our-history/companies/
[i] Derived from externally released data as at 31 December 2015 (including data from Aviva and Friends Life Groups).
[ii] Group personal Pensions market projections based on Spence Johnson analysis
[iii] According to Equity release council and company reporting data ended 31 December 2015
[iv] According to market share, sourced from Association of British Insurers (ABI) data, year ended 31 December 2015.
[v] Datamonitor UK Insurance Competitor Analytics 2015
UK General Insurance
In the UK we provide a wide range of general insurance products focused on personal and commercial customers with a business mix of approximately 60% personal lines and 40% commercial lines. Our personal lines products include personal motor (cars, motorcycles and vans); home (including building and contents insurance and home emergency cover), travel (single trip and annual travel insurance), pet and payment protection. For businesses we offer cover for fleets, commercial vehicles, commercial property and commercial liability insurance, for SMEs and the larger UK corporate and speciality risks (CSR) market.
UK Life and Pensions
As the UK’s leading life and pensions business, we offer a comprehensive range of long-term savings and risk products, including pensions, retirement solutions and protection, for both individual and corporate customers. Our strength in these markets is underpinned by our underwriting and investment management expertise, as well as our strong distribution networks and our brand.
We intend to grow our business by focusing on the needs of our customers at key times in their lives.
UK Life has four distinct solutions businesses:
- Retirement Solutions
With our customer focus and expertise we are ideally placed to help retirees navigate the new pensions freedoms. In a market which is set to triple over the next 10 years, our products include annuities, income drawdown, equity release and long-term care. We have a range of innovative investment solutions and we serve one in four retiring defined contribution pension customers.
- Corporate and business solutions
We are the largest corporate pension provider in a market which is set to triple over the next decade, currently holding £47 billion of pension assets. We have an established track record in bulk purchase annuities, and provide a market-leading group risk offering, helping employers and employees with group life, critical illness and income protection solutions.
- Protection solutions
We have an extensive product range to provide individual and corporate customers with peace of mind that their lives and loved ones are protected from unforeseen events. Products include life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection in a market which is predicted to grow by 60% over the next 10 years.
- Existing customers
We have the UK’s largest back book of life policies, serving 6.5 million customers.
We manage this book effectively and efficiently to offer continued value for money for customers.
Visit our website for more information www.aviva.co.uk
We’re one of the largest healthcare insurers in the UK, offering a range of private medical insurance and income protection products, together with a broad suite of individual and corporate health-related products and services designed to help improve our customers' wellbeing.
To find out more, visit us at www.aviva.co.uk/health
Aviva UK Life
Telephone +44 (0)1904 628 982
Aviva UK Insurance
PO Box 6
Telephone +44 (0)1603 622 200
Fax +44 (0)1603 683 659
Hampshire Corporate Park
Telephone 0870 900 1035
Aviva UK websites
Aviva Commercial Finance
Friends Life UK