Aviva today announces it has completed a £95million bulk purchase annuity transaction with LawDeb Pension Trustees, Sole Corporate Trustee of the British Bankers’ Association Pension Scheme (BBA).
Aviva will insure the defined benefit pension liabilities of all 213 members, removing the investment and longevity risk of these members from the Scheme. Members will see no change in the amount of their benefits or the way in which they are paid as a result of the transaction.
The process to select an insurer and negotiate terms was led by LCP on behalf of LawDeb Pension Trustees as Sole Corporate Trustee, with Gowling providing legal advice on the transaction. The Scheme was also advised by Barnett Waddingham and Womble Bond Dickinson.
Jamie Cole, Head of Bulk Purchase Annuity Origination at Aviva, said:
"We’ve worked closely with LCP to deliver this transaction using their streamlined process. This once again demonstrates that smaller schemes can access attractive pricing when they are well prepared and supported by an efficient process, even against the backdrop of recent market volatility."
Henrietta Royle, Chief Executive of the BBA, commented: “The long-term security of our pension scheme is extremely important, especially during current times of uncertainty. This successful transaction with Aviva provides that security and is great news for the organisation and our scheme members.”
Sean Burnard, Trustee Director of LawDeb Pension Trustees and Sole Corporate Trustee of the Scheme, said: “We firmly believe this full buy-in represents excellent value in context of a more secure future for BBA’s pension scheme members. When you consider the challenging times we have found ourselves in, unprecedented in fact, we are very pleased to have been able to successfully transact accordingly. This is testament to extensive stakeholder management and a real lesson in positive collaboration between all the parties involved.”
Sam Jenkins, Partner at LCP, said: “The British Bankers’ Association and Scheme navigated unprecedented market volatility to reach a successful transaction that provides long-term certainty for their members. Aviva worked closely with us and the Scheme to make the transaction a success. LCP’s streamlined process gave BBA and the Scheme certainty on costs and timings for the full buy-in and better access to the insurance market.”
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- Our vision is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- We will focus on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. Our International businesses in Europe and Asia will be managed for long-term shareholder value. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £522 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £12.0 billion (HY20). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.