Aviva announces partnership with Plug and Play
23 Aug 2016
Aviva is to partner with Plug and Play, a global digital start-up accelerator headquartered in Silicon Valley. The relationship will give Aviva access to world-class digital start-ups, and the opportunity to help mentor them and help them to turn ideas into products or services.
The partnership initially aims to find digital insurance innovations through its InsurTech programme, which will launch in September. The project hopes to attract up to 1000 applications from start-ups looking to disrupt the insurance industry.
Aviva will work with Plug and Play, and other programme partners, to select the most promising ideas, which will see 40-50 start-ups working out of Plug and Play’s headquarters and receiving hands-on support to develop their propositions.
The partnership supports Aviva’s Digital First strategy, which aims to make dealing with Aviva simple and convenient for customers, and includes testing and developing new ideas aimed at making insurance and financial services more tailored and accessible to Aviva’s customers.
It will also accelerate Aviva’s cultural transformation. Aviva people will have the opportunity to be seconded to Plug and Play and spend up to three months in Silicon Valley, giving them an understanding of the emerging technologies and the experience of working with talented technology experts on the West Coast of the USA.
Monique Shivanandan, Chief Information Office at Aviva said; “I’m delighted we are working with Plug and Play, and see the partnership as a key way to move our culture and innovation forward rapidly.”
Andrew Brem, Chief Digital Officer at Aviva said; “This partnership forms another exciting strand of our digital innovation strategy as well as providing opportunities for our people to work with leading entrepreneurs to explore new digital innovations and thinking.”
Saeed Amidi, Founder & CEO of Plug and Play “It is a great pleasure to partner with such a forward-looking insurance company and it’s an honour to be part of their digital transformation. We look forward to pursuing innovative ideas in the UK and Europe, as well as building a bridge to Silicon Valley.”
Plug and Play - Allison Romero
Head of Public Relations, Plug and Play
Notes to editors:
- In 2014, Aviva set out its ‘Digital First’ strategy. We put Digital First because our customers are increasingly choosing this as their preferred way to deal with us. Through digital we can support customers more quickly with their enquiries and transactions, wherever they are in the world
- Digital is how Aviva will capitalise on being a true customer composite (providing customers with all their insurance needs, across life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management)
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers, across 16 markets worldwide
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £289 billion in assets.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £30.7 billion in benefits and claims in 2015.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/
- Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.
Plug and Play Tech Center is the world’s largest global technology accelerator and venture fund. Since inception in 2006, our program has expanded worldwide to include entrepreneurs from 24 countries, providing necessary resources to succeed in Silicon Valley. With over 400 startups and 100 corporate partners, we have created the ultimate startup ecosystem. Plug and Play provides active investments with 180 leading Silicon Valley VCs, and more than 365 networking events per year. Companies in our community have raised over $3.5 billion in funding, with successful portfolio exits including Dropbox, Lending Club, PayPal, and SoundHound.