Amanda Mackenzie to lead global education programme for UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
13 Nov 2014
Aviva announces that it will be a founding partner of a new initiative by Richard Curtis, film director and founder of Red Nose Day and Make Poverty History, which will aim to bring the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals to every person around the world in 2015. The UN’s Goals will aim to end extreme poverty and arrest the problems caused by climate change.
To help meet this challenge, Aviva’s Chief Marketing Officer, Amanda Mackenzie, has been invited to work with Richard on this project for the next two years and has been specially seconded for this purpose.
Amanda will lead a global education programme around the Goals and a legacy programme to see the eventual fulfilment of the goals. She will join a leadership team which will be responsible for developing a global campaign to galvanise as much public awareness and support as possible for the new goals.
Amanda will be joining the project from 1 December.
Mark Wilson, Group Chief Executive Officer of Aviva plc said:
“This is a challenge which suits Amanda perfectly and plays to her skills and experiences. Since Amanda joined the Group Executive of Aviva almost seven years ago she has made an outstanding contribution to creating the UK’s most valuable general insurance brand. I would like to thank Amanda and I am delighted that such an important initiative will be able to benefit from Amanda’s skills and experience.”
Of the move Amanda Mackenzie said:
“It is a real privilege to have this opportunity to work with such an inspirational and creative person as Richard Curtis and to take up this fantastic opportunity with the full support of Aviva. I am extremely excited about the future but obviously it’s tinged with sadness as I won’t be working with my colleagues and team so directly. Aviva is an exceedingly special company with wonderful people.”
Richard Curtis said:
“I am delighted that we have the support of someone as outstanding as Amanda to support this life-changing initiative and I am sure that her energy and experience will make a massive contribution to this project. Amanda is joining a powerful team of campaigners and partners including the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation who believe that 2015 is a pivotal year to change the future of our people and our planet. I would like to thank Aviva for allowing us to work with Amanda in this partnership.”
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides 31 million customers with insurance, savings and investment products.
- We are one of the UK’s leading insurers and one of Europe’s leading providers of life and general insurance.
- We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand.
- We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media/ includes images, company and product information and a news release archive
- For an interactive introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/library/reports/this-is-aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/video/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/