UK: Aviva enlists David Coulthard for new safer driving campaign
31 Dec 2016
Aviva has unveiled its latest initiative to help make Britain’s roads safer, with a new campaign featuring former Formula One driver and road safety campaigner David Coulthard.
Launching on 31 December 2016, the high profile ‘Good Thinking’ campaign has been developed in conjunction with Adam&EveDDB and ZenithOptimedia. It combines TV advertising, media relations and social and digital content.
Viewers will see the new advert trailed on social media from 31 December 2016 and on mainstream TV channels from 1 January 2017. David Coulthard - an ambassador for road safety in his native Scotland - is disguised as a rogue taxi driver who bewilders his unwitting passengers with an array of appalling driving habits.
The customers are then shocked as their driver demands payment for the hair-raising ride, before the driver’s real identity is revealed. The underlying message from Aviva is that no-one should have to pay for other people’s bad driving, and that safer drivers save an average of £170 by downloading and using the free Aviva Drive app*.
This is the latest in Aviva’s series of ‘safer driving’ activities, which started in December 2015 with a prominent campaign in which the Joliffe-Austin family challenged one another to find the safest driver, using the app.
Other Aviva initiatives have included a series of video ‘shorts’ featuring household names such as Tinchy Stryder and The Chuckle Brothers, made in conjunction with Channel 4, and more recently, a powerful affiliation with Buzzfeed, where drivers and passengers recount the traumas of being involved in a motor collision when the driver was distracted behind the wheel. Aviva also sponsored Brake charity’s Road Safety Week in November 2016.
Peter Markey, Brand and Marketing Communications Director for Aviva says: “We have been on a journey throughout 2016 to make people wake up and think about their driving behaviours. Distracted driving is a huge problem in the UK and Aviva is on a mission to help bring about social change and encourage people to really make that extra effort to concentrate when they are behind the wheel.
“Sadly there are still too many incidents which happen because people get into bad habits or they get distracted while driving, so we want to send out this message loud and clear - that everyone can play their part in making our roads safer, by just taking that extra care. The Aviva Drive app is free to download and safer drivers save an average of £170 off their Aviva car insurance, so there’s every reason to take the safe driving challenge and really make a difference.”
Images from the advert are available.
If you are a journalist and would like further information, please contact:
Aviva Press Office: Sarah Poulter, 01904 452 828 / 07800 691569, firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
*Discount on first car per direct Aviva comprehensive policy. Discount depends on score and premium (minimum £200). 40% of customers scoring 7.1+ saved £170 or more (1/1/16 – 30/9/16). Excludes optional extras. Compatible handset required.
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers, across 16 markets worldwide
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £319 billion in assets.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £30.7 billion in benefits and claims in 2015.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- Aviva has a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.