Corporate Responsibility team blog
Aviva’s Corporate Responsibility team would like to welcome you to our blog.
This is our opportunity to provide you with a greater insight into the day to day workings of Aviva and to discuss current societal issues as they are highlighted in the global media.
Stonewall announces 2013 Workplace Equality Index
Corporate responsibility - 17 January 2013
- Aviva advances to 32nd place in Top 100
Yesterday, Stonewall released the results of the 2013 Workplace Equality Index, which celebrates the top 100 UK employers for lesbian, gay and bisexual people. Aviva hosted the reception for companies that were recognised in the listing this year.
We want to extend our warm congratulations to Accenture, which secured the top spot this year.
Aviva came in 32nd place in the Top 100, which represented an improvement of 66 places since last year. We are incredibly proud of this accomplishment. Aviva Pride, our network for LGBT employees in the UK, was also recognised as “Star Performing Network”.
While we are currently the only insurer in the Top 100, we’ve recently partnered with Lloyd’s and others to form the LGBT Insurance Network (LINK) to encourage more inclusive practices in our sector. We expect to see more insurers on the index in future.
A number of achievements helped contribute to our significant improvement over the last year. Aviva Pride, in particular, played an instrumental role.
- Shane Clements, Aviva Pride’s Norwich lead, coordinated “Purple Door Day” which raised more than £8,000 for AKT Purple Door Campaign, which helps young people kicked out of their homes for being gay.
- Dayna Fawkes, Aviva Pride’s business manager, designed and piloted the “What Would Aviva Do?” workshop which raises awareness on the impact of subtle forms of discrimination or prejudice at work.
- Simon Rodgers, Aviva Pride’s York lead, co-presented on human rights for gay people at the One Young World summit in the United States last year.
In addition, a range of corporate initiatives also contributed. For example:
- In 2012, the UK Board of Directors reviewed analysis from our 2011 employee survey which reflected differences in engagement across a range of demographic groups, including LGBT employees.
- Sexual orientation was one of the topics discussed in Aviva’s reciprocal mentoring programme for senior leaders in 2011/2012.
- Our main UK recruitment partner has begun to provide us with much insight into our external talent pipeline, including applications from LGBT people.
Our commitment to inclusion is a critical part of our journey to becoming the Most Recommended Insurer and an Employer of Choice, both in the UK and in select international markets.
Our relationship with Stonewall remains incredibly important to us, as well. They have advised and supported us for years and we’re proud of our strong partnership with them.
Posted by Sophie Relf on 21 January 2013
Delighted to see Aviva's launch of LINK, here's hoping that deeper understanding will lead to greater opportunities for all.
Leave a comment
Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the article's author has approved them.
Louise started at Aviva in Marketing in 2006, moving to her most recent role in corporate responsibility in 2010. Her role as group CR communications manager is to promote all of the fantastic CR work at Aviva which includes producing the annual CR report and working closely with the regions.
Group CR director
No bio information is currently available
CR blogs's subjects
CR blogs's archive
If you would like to contact us about any posts on the CR Blog, you can email: